Committee on Police Reform
On June 12, 2020, New York State Governor Andrew Cuomo issued Executive Order 203, requiring each local government in the State adopt a policing reform plan by no later than April 1, 2021. The purpose, as cited from the New York State Police Reform and Reinvention Collaborative, Resources & Guide for Public Officials and Citizens, is “to foster trust, fairness and legitimacy within communities throughout our State and to address any racial bias and disproportionate policing of communities of color.”
This reform effort is aimed at rebuilding the community’s relationship with their local police force by creating an honest dialogue about public safety needs by:
- Creating a collaborative police reform committee intended to evaluate current department policies and procedures;
- Establish new policies, where applicable, allowing police to effectively and safely perform their duties;
- Involve the community in the discussion and through the entire process;
- Develop recommendations that have resulted from the review;
- Offer a plan that has been provided to the public for comment, adopt the plan at the legislative level; and
- Certify the plan and its content to the New York State Budget Director on or before April 1, 2021.
Click the picture to get a copy of the final plan.