Christopher Ivers CJM – Jail Administrator
Lt. Kevin Morsman – Assistant Jail Administrator
The Allegany County Jail was re-accredited by the New York State Sheriff’s Association in 2016 and again in 2020. A team of three inspectors reviewed 164 standards that are above and beyond the New York State minimum standards for Jails.
The Allegany County Sheriff’s Office generated over 875,000 dollars in revenue through housing federal and other inmates in 2020, just over $2,400.00 per day. The average daily population of the jail was 63 of which 36 were local inmates. With the COVID crisis and Bail Reform our inmate population has reduced significantly, but the Jail Administrator, Assistant Jail Administrator and jail staff did a good job identifying ways to keep a good “flow” of federal detainees through the facility to keep our housed in numbers high enough to help pay our bond payment and help offset the cost of running the Office of the Sheriff.
The Jail staff continues to improve their operations and expand their positive relationships across the greater Allegany County Community.
HALT ACT Report
Allegany County Jail Inmate Visitation And Commissary Information
NOTE: All Visitation has been Suspended during the current COVID crisis
Visiting Hours (Saturday and Sunday only) (All Visitation has been Suspended during the current COVID crisis)
9:30am to 10:30 am (males)
1:00pm to 2:00 pm (males)
2:30pm to 3:30 pm (females)
5:30 to 6:30 pm (males)
7:00pm to 8:00 pm (males)
To schedule a visit:
You must call at least 24 hours in advance of the visitation time
Visitors who arrive without an appointment may be admitted on a case to case basis
All Weapons Are Prohibited in the Facility
- Visitors MUST arrive at least 15 minutes prior to the scheduled visit. If visitors arrive late the visit will be denied
- Valid photo ID must be presented (Drivers license or Non Drivers ID)
- You must be dressed in appropriate attire. No hoodies, short skirts, miniskirts or shirts that expose the midriff.
- All hats, jackets, purses, bags, cell phones, keys, knives, etc. must be secured in the lockers prior to visitation.
- Children under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian at all times while on the property. (If you are not the parent or legal guardian you must have a signed note from the legal guardian stating you have permission to bring the child to visitation. You must also have the child’s birth certificate.) These will need to be presented to the officers EACH TIME you bring the child for a visit.
- You must remain seated in the Visitation Room at all times.
- Children will remain seated and under control on the visitor’s side of barrier at all times.
- You may hold hands over the barrier.
- You may give a brief hug and kiss at the beginning and end of each visit
- No items, including children, will be passed between the visitor and the inmate.
- No loud, boisterous or foul language permitted.
- Inappropriate behavior will not be tolerated.
- Once you leave the visitation area, you will not be readmitted.
- You will follow all directives given by the Visitation Officers without hesitation..
- You will visit only with the inmate that you came to see while in the Visitors Room.
Each Inmate shall be entitled to receive a 15 minute, non-contact visit within 24 hours after admission to the facility.
After the initial 24 hours visit, inmates need to be classified before they can begin regular weekly visits. The classification process can take 5 to 15 business days. Each inmate will then be entitled to two (2) one hour visits each week. Visiting days are on Saturday and Sunday ONLY.
No items for the inmate will be accepted at the time of the visit. All items must be sent through the mail or a third party shipping company (for example UPS, FedEx, etc.)
ALL ITEMS MUST BE BRAND NEW & IN THE UNOPENED ORIGINAL PACKAGE
- Underwear- must be white
- Bras-must be white. NO underwire
- T-Shirt-must be white with sleeves. NO tank tops.
- Bath towel- White only. Must not exceed 30” x 56”.
- Thermal Underwear- Tops & Bottoms
- DVD’s- (approved and will become property of the jail. If you choose not to donate them, they will be returned unopened at your expense).
- Puzzle Books- No writing inside
- Magazines-No pornographic material.
- Books-Soft cover only.
- Writing Tablet-No writing.
- Drawing Pad-No larger than 9” x 12”
- Pocket Calendar-Soft cover only. No larger than 4” x 6”
Any items received that are not on the list, will be returned to the sender at the inmate’s expense.
No money may be dropped off at the Sheriff’s Office. If you wish to provide money for an inmate in this facility you must mail it in, or use the kiosk in the lobby. Money orders must be made out to the Allegany County Sheriffs Office Commissary Account in care of inmate name. Personal checks will not be accepted. The Allegany County Sheriff’s Office will not be responsible for cash sent through the mail.
Working Inmate Program:
In 2020 the working inmates daily responsibilities were as follows: laundry, general cleaning, floor maintenance, interior painting, helping with food preparation and serving all meals, assist with landscaping, lawn care and snow removal. The inmates worked a total of 15,456 hours at a cost of $1,932.00 which was paid from the Inmate Commissary Account at no cost to the taxpayer. During the COVID crisis there were no hours spent on community projects outside the jail.