Officer Wellness Program
Quote of the Week
Law enforcement is a stressful and demanding profession. At times it may feel overwhelming. The current staffing situation in many agencies is causing issues with shift coverage, overtime, and in some facilities, a reduced number of pass days. This may make it difficult for staff members to get proper sleep, leaving them feeling tired and even exhausted physically and emotionally. Law enforcement professionals also face stressors in their personal life which can impact relationships and work performance. Typically, these issues are not discussed or acknowledged by the person and their peers.
To address these challenges, the Allegany County Sheriff’s Office, in collaboration with The New York State Office of Mental Health, is pleased to announce the Officer Wellness Pilot Project Initiative In-Service. The course is intended for leadership and officers alike.
The 8-hour course is free of charge and will be co-presented by experienced law enforcement and licensed mental health professionals. For questions about this program, please contact Brent Schlafer at Brent.firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Allegany County Sheriff’s Office (ACSO) Wellness Program Team , in partnership with the Wellsville Elks Lodge, extends an invitation to you for the First Responders Family Appreciation Day. This event aims to honor those in Corrections, Dispatch, EMS, Nursing, Firefighting, Policing, Military, Probation, and District Attorney roles.
We invite those serving in these roles to join us on October 7th, 2023, from 12:00 PM to 6:00 PM at the Wellsville Elks Lodge located at 77E. Pearl St., Wellsville, NY 14895. The event will offer food, entertainment, and meaningful connections.
The Nacho Mama’s Food Truck and Old Mill Wing Bar Food Truck will be catering. Lively live music and two Bounce Houses from Wixson Rentals. Face painting for kids, adding a touch of artistic flair to the day. There is going to be a raffle for a chance to win a kayak or a Blackstone grill. . If you’re up for some friendly competition, join the Blind Draw Cornhole Tournament. Registration is open from 11:00 AM to 12:00 PM, with enticing cash prizes including $250 for the 1st place winner, $100 for the 2nd place, and $50 for the 3rd place.
Wellness Vendors will be present, sharing valuable insights about family well-being and introducing essential services.
The ACSO Wellness Program Team and the Wellsville Elks Lodge have united their efforts to bring this exceptional event to all first responders and their families. We are thrilled to announce that food, music, bounce houses, face painting, and the Cornhole Tournament are all complimentary for first responders. Please have valid First Responder Credentials for entry. Your dedication deserves this celebration! For more information on the day’s events contact Wellness Officer Brent Schlafer at Brent.email@example.com or (the) Wellsville Elks Lodge.
What are the Program Objectives?
- Teach officers and leadership how to use SAMHSA’s Eight Dimensions of Wellness to develop personalized wellness plans
- Help officers develop resiliency skills for everyday life stressors
- Help officers improve work-life balance
- Help improve work efficiency and performance
- Encourage leadership investment in workforce development and wellness
- Show leadership how to reward officers for their proactive participation in developing wellness plans
What are the 8 Dimensions of Wellness?
There are eight dimensions of wellness that have been identified by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. They are all interrelated and overlapping.
- Emotional – Coping effectively with life and creating satisfying relationships.
- Spiritual – Expanding our sense of purpose and meaning in life.
- Intellectual – Recognizing creative abilities and finding ways to expand knowledge and skill.
- Physical – Recognizing the need for physical activity, diet, sleep and nutrition.
- Environmental – Good health by occupying pleasant, stimulating environments that support well-being.
- Financial – Understanding our resources, current fiscal situation and future prospects.
- Occupational – Personal satisfaction and enrichment derived from one’s work.
- Social – Developing a sense of connection, belonging, and a well-developed support system.
What are the benefits of the program?
Increase your own health and wellness.
Sharing your experience can be helpful to others.
Healthy staff keep the facility running and functioning.
Rewards are built in to encourage wellness related activities.
988 Suicide & Crisis Lifeline: Call or Text 988 | Chat: 988lifeline.org/chat/
Crisis Text Line: Text Got5 to 741-741
Allegany County Crisis Hotline: Call 1-888-448-3367
Allegany County Community Services: Call 1-585-593-1991
Allegany Council on Alcoholism and Substance Abuse: Call 585-593-1920
Clarity Wellness Community: Call 585-593-6300
Peer Support Team: Call 585-268-9200
Allegany County Wellness Program: Call 585-268-9200
Allegany County FitWorks Prime: Insurance and health incentives for county employees
TotalCare EAP: Employee Assistance Program available to County employees allowing access to several services