Traffic Diversion Program
PURPOSE & BENEFITS TO THE DRIVER: The program offers drivers the opportunity to take a 6-hour instructional course so they may avoid points and penalties associated with traffic tickets. Those who successfully complete the program will be eligible for a 4-point reduction on their license and a 10% reduction on their collision and liability insurance on their primary vehicle for three years. Also, the current ticket is dismissed and no fines or points will be assessed. Please note, with surcharges and fines, a “typical” traffic ticket could cost $243.00 and carry 2 to 6 points. The fine amounts and points vary depending on the ticket that was issued. Consequences for insurance coverage and increased premiums may also occur.
ELIGIBILITY: The Program has complete discretion to determine who is accepted. It is eligible for drivers who received a moving violation and the driver must:
- Have not participated in the program within the past 12 months;
- Have no more than 4 points on their license;
- Have no drinking and driving convictions within the past 18 months;
- Have a valid license and insurance at the time of offense;
- Not be involved in an accident at the time of the offense;
- Not be ticketed for a speed in excess of 30 mph over the posted limit.
*NOTE* Those who appear ineligible may still apply for the program. Complete the paragraph on the application that allows for mitigating circumstances.
HOW TO APPLY:
- Plead not guilty to the ticket and send to the court;
- Complete the Diversion Application;
- Send the completed application, a copy of the ticket, a self-addressed, stamped envelope or email address and payment of $225.00 for the application and program fees in the form of a money order made out to the “Allegany County Traffic Diversion Program”, to the Allegany County District Attorney’s Office, Attn: Traffic Diversion Program, 7 Court Street, Suite 333, Belmont, NY 14813.
APPLICATION REVIEW PROCESS: The ticket and application are reviewed by this office. If a driver is not accepted, their $225.00 money order is returned.
AFTER COMPLETING THE CLASS: The driver must send the completion certificate to the Allegany County District Attorney’s Office, Attn: Traffic Diversion Program, 7 Court Street, Suite 333, Belmont, NY 14813 or fax to 585-268-9727. They must also supply the certificate to the court of the town where the ticket was issued.
Your certificate MUST be dated AFTER the date of your ticket.
Any driver who is accepted into the Allegany County Traffic Diversion Program and then fails to complete the requirements of the Program forfeits the $225.00 application and program fee and it will not be refunded.