Economic Development

Starting a Business Here

Main Street in beautiful Wellsville, New York.

Allegany County is a great place to do business. Whether you’re looking to grow your business, relocate, or start a new business, Allegany County offers the resources and services to help you at every step.

Sole Proprietorship – This is a business structure owned by one individual. All business responsibilities, decisions, and risks belong to the single owner. The Sole Proprietor has unlimited liability for the business.

General Partnership – This is a business structure that allows a relationship between two or more persons or companies that carry on a trade or business together. Partnerships require registration at the Clerk’s Office.

Limited Partnership – Similar to a General Partnership, with exception to limited liability. One partner is required to be the general partner, while the other would have limited liability to the extent of their investment obligations with no management powers.

Limited Liability Company – An unincorporated business organization of one or more persons having limited liability for contractual obligations and liabilities of the business.

Limited Liability Partnership – Similar to an LLC, it is a professional partnership that allows for equal liability obligations.

Corporation – A New York State corporation is an entity separate and distinct from individuals that may own or manage the business. Operating for profit, they can raise capital by selling shares of interest in the corporation with debt and obligations associated to the corporation, not the owner(s).

Fees – Fees vary based on the type of business you are interested in pursuing. Please contact the Allegany County Clerk’s Office to determine fee structure and which forms are required for submittal. Most forms require use of a Notary and may have additional fees associated with them.

Print a DBA form, or pick one up at the Allegany County Clerk’s Office, 7 Court Street, Belmont, NY 14813.

ACCORD Allegany County Business Center

ACCORD’s Entrepreneurial/Business Assistance classes can teach you the ins and outs of running a business including record keeping, business plans, marketing and more. They also help current businesses with their own specific needs.

IncubatorWorks Alfred

IncubatorWorks provides advice, assistance, resources, and workspace for entrepreneurs and small business owners seeking to start or grow their businesses in Allegany County.

SCORE Business Mentor

The SCORE Association is a non-profit association with trained members that serve as counselors, advisors and mentors to entrepreneurs and business owners. With SCORE, you can email a mentor, visit your local SCORE office, participate in free online workshops or webinars, and subscribe to the e-newsletters for free business tips.

Cattaraugus County Procurement Technical Assistance Center

The PTAC is a marketing and technical assistance program that assists businesses in the western and central southern tier of New York State to navigate government contracting and procurement opportunities. They offer no-cost training events and workshops to help you strengthen your business knowledge of marketing to the government and apply it immediately to your business plans.

Small Business Administration

Created in 1953, the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) continues to help small business owners and entrepreneurs pursue the American dream. SBA is the only cabinet-level federal agency fully dedicated to small business and provides counseling, capital, and contracting expertise as the nation’s only go-to resource and voice for small businesses. SBA has resource partners like SCORE, Small Business Development Centers and Women’s Business Centers that provide additional business counseling and training.

Don’t rely on receiving a grant to start your business! Most grants are only available to certain types of non profit organizations or businesses that are inventing new technologies. If you’re still going to hit up the grant circuit SBA’s Loans & Grants Search Tool is a good place to begin.There searches will include programs for specific industries, minority or veteran business owners, or geographic areas. The SBA has cultivated relationships with local banking communities and can help secure a guaranteed loan if your business meets certain criteria. Before you take your ideas to the bank make sure you have a business plan, expense sheet, and financial projections for the next five years ready. These tools will give you an idea of how much to ask for.

In order to start a new business in New York State, a company must comply with a number of requirements. The type of business, location and number of employees will determine what must be completed. Here is some general information to get you started.

  • Decide the legal structure of the company:
    • Sole Proprietorship: Each sole proprietorship that is doing business under a name (DBA) other than its full legal name must register the trade name with Allegany County Clerk’s Office located at 7 Court Street, Room 213 in Belmont, NY 14813. For more information, please visit their website:
    • Partnership: A partnership that does business under a name other that its full legal name must also register with Allegany County Clerk’s Office.
    • Corporation, Limited Partnership, and Limited Liability Company (LLC): To file this legal structure there are several things that a company must do. 1) Check on available business names with the Secretary of State, 2) Register a trade name, and 3) File articles of incorporation for a corporation, file articles of organization for an LLC, or file a certificate of limited partnership.
  • Local and NYS license/permit requirements:
    • Towns and Villages may also require business licenses. Please call the Town or Village Clerk in the municipality where you’ll be operating the business to get specific requirement information.
    • Visit the NYS License Center at for additional information on permits and licenses required by NYS.
  • Check local zoning laws to make sure you are not in violation of local zoning ordinances. A map can be found at
  • Taxes:
    • Federal Taxes and Federal Employer Identification Number (EIN): An EIN is required if you are opening a bank account, forming a corporation or a partnership, plan on hiring employees, or maintaining assets. To file an EIN please visit
    • Property Taxes: Property taxes must be paid on real and business personal property.
    • Income Taxes: “C” Corporations report business income and expenses to the IRS on a corporate return. Sole Proprietors, Partnerships, “S” Corporations and LLC’s report business income and expenses to the IRS as part of personal income tax and file estimated tax payments with the IRS. A self-employment tax must also be paid on net earnings of $400 or more. Corporations must file a state franchise tax report and pay franchise tax for each calendar year the corporation exists. Visit for more information and taxes and the IRS.
  • If you plan to hire employees:
    • Obtain an EIN (as described above), and call your insurance agency to obtain Workers Compensation and Disability Insurance coverage for employees.
    • NYS Unemployment Insurance is also a requirement for paid wages of $300 or more. Call (716) 851-2600 or visit
    • Don’t forget about the NYS Withholding Tax Guide and the Employers Tax Guide for information on NYS withholding forms and the federal form W-4.
    • Employment Eligibility Verification must be processed using form I-9, based on the Immigration and Naturalization Service Reform and Control Act of 1986. Visit for more information.
    • The Occupational Safety and Health Administration at provides federal regulations that protect the safety and health of employees.
  • Build a team of advisors:
    • Your banker for help with funding
    • Your accountant for record keeping and tax strategies
    • An insurance provider for your businesses insurance needs
    • Your lawyer to review and advise on legal documents, as well as general advise
  • Open a business checking account:
    • It is important to maintain a separate business account from your personal account. Typically, the bank requires a certified copy of your DBA, or a copy of your incorporation papers with corporate seal.
  • Install a business phone line:
    • This entitles you to a business listing, while allowing you to maintain your privacy at home.
  • Announcements:
    • Send announcements to your friends, potential clients, and local media outlets.

Small Business Administration – The SBA Buffalo Office can provide additional assistance and information on funding programs, government contracting, and training available.

Cuba Chamber of Commerce – The Chamber in Cuba promotes business prosperity and a healthy community by providing information, services, and advocacy for members and citizens.

Wellsville Area Chamber of Commerce – WACC seeks to enhance the community, accentuate local commerce, maintain economic stability and to make Wellsville a destination of choice.

Zoning Map – Don’t forget to find out if your Allegany County community has zoning before you pick a location. If the map shows zoning, please contact the Planning Office for details on who to contact. 585-268-7472

Ready To Pick Your Location? – Here is a listing of commercial properties for sale or lease. Most are linked to a realtor but there are a few that are being sold by owner.

Grant Resources – The Small Business Development Center has additional information on finding grant and loan resources.